If I rent a car when traveling, does my auto insurance cover that car?

Do I Need Rental Car Insurance?

Whether traveling for business or pleasure, renting a car can make getting around more convenient. But when it comes to insurance, it can be unclear whether your current policy covers you or if you need to purchase additional coverage from the rental agency.

In this blog post, Com-Co Insurance Agency Inc looks at what coverage you already have and what type of insurance should be considered when renting a car in Mount Prospect, IL. 

Your Current Auto Insurance Policy 

The first step is to check your auto insurance policy before signing up for car rental insurance. Most policies will provide at least some level of coverage that extends to any cars you rent, though there may be restrictions. For example, if you’re traveling out-of-state or out-of-country, your policy may not cover rental vehicles in those locations. 

Should I Buy Extra Coverage? 

If your personal auto insurance doesn’t provide adequate protection for rental cars, then purchasing extra coverage from the rental agency would be wise. This can include things like loss damage waivers (LDW) which protects against damages caused by an accident; personal accident insurance (PAI), which covers medical expenses related to an accident; and supplemental liability protection (SLP), which provides additional liability protection above what is offered by the credit card company and your personal auto insurance policy in Mount Prospect IL, and beyond.

Contact Com-Co Insurance Agency Inc. We can look at your auto insurance policy with you to see what kind of coverage already exists on your personal auto insurance policy.